Monday, July 4, 2022

The Agony of Discipleship

This morning I was encouraged by Paul's heart for the Colossians and Laodiceans.  

For I want you to know how great a struggle I have for you, and for those in Laodicea, and for those who have not met me face to face. My goal is that their hearts, having been knit together in love, may be encouraged, and that they may have all the riches that assurance brings in their understanding of the knowledge of the mystery of God, namely, Christ... (Colossians 2:1-2)

First, Paul describes his "struggle" for them. The word here means "to agonize". He thinks about them; He prays for them; He works for their good. 


Next, Paul lays out his goals. He struggles in prayer and service to these ends. 

  1. He desires to see their hearts knit together in love. This is a great picture of what a church is supposed to be. 
  2. He desires for them to be encouraged. They are facing challenges and trials and need encouraged. 
  3. He desires that they would know and live out of the fullness Jesus Christ. This is the glorious fulfillment of the gospel. 

As I consider this list I am challenged to be a better Pastor; a more faithful discipler of others. This is Paul's heart. These are Paul's goals. How does Paul's heart challenge you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment