Friday, January 3, 2014

Why Is It So Cold?

This morning Genesis 8:22 caught my attention. It reads,
"While the earth remains, seedtime and harvest, cold and heat, summer and winter, day and night, shall not cease."
This verse is a promise spoken by God, following the flood.  Notice what He promises: "Seasonal Faithfulness."  He says there will be a spring, a fall, a winter, and a summer. As long as there is a earth these things will not cease. My curiosity lead me to my bookshelf where I picked up a commentary on Genesis by Kenneth Mathews (no relation, that I know of...) and I was blessed by his comments:
"Instead of destruction, the earth will be blessed with the regularity of predictable environmental pattens that are undergirded by the directive hand of God (v. 22). This promise is dependent upon the goodness of God and not the righteousness of humanity, for humanity will always languish in sin."
Isn't it good - on a cold day, like today - to be reminded that our God is good and faithful. With every "burrhh" sound you make and with every "shiver" you shake let the cold remind you of God's faithfulness.

No comments:

Post a Comment