Friday, July 9, 2010

Amos

This week I have been reading through the book of Amos and for those who know me you know I have a 4 year old ball of energy named Amos. My Amos gets his name from the Bible Amos. And this morning I would like to share why, but in order to do that I need to set the stage a bit...

The Bible Amos was a prophet in the northern kingdom of Israel during the reign of Jeroboam, and like most other prophets, no one wanted to hear what he had to say, especially the religious establishment of his day. In Amos 7:10, Amaziah, the priest of Bethel, had this to say to King Jeroboam, "Amos has conspired against you in the midst of the house of Israel. The land is not able to bear all his words." Isn't that a great phrase, "The land is not able to bear all his words." (But I must stay focused!).

Amaziah then turns his attention to Amos saying, "O seer, go, flee away to the land of Judah, and eat bread there, and prophesy there, but never again prophesy at Bethel, for it is the king's sanctuary, and it is a temple of the kingdom." Basically he says, "Get out of here, we do not want to hear any more from you!" (note the blatant absence of God in Amaziah's words)

What Amos says in the next 3 verses encourages my faith and provides the reason I chose to name my son after this obscure prophet. In verse 14, I can see Amos looking squarley at Amaziah and responding to his threat, "I was not prophet, nor a prophet's son, but I was a herdsman and a dresser of sycamore figs. But the LORD took me from following the flock, and the LORD said to me, 'Go, prophesy to my people Israel.' Now therefore hear the word of the LORD."

Did you get that? Did you catch the last phrase? It gives me goosebumps he says, "Now hear the word of the LORD..." These powerful men just told Amos to get out of town and stop prophesying and his answer to them, "Now hear the word of the LORD..."

It is that faith and boldness that I respect, but it is also important to note that his faith and boldness is clothed in humility. In his response Amos confesses his profession: herdsman and fig dresser (basically a confession of his poverty)...But the LORD took him and made him a prophet and he obviously takes his calling seriously. Amos admits that he is a nobody that God has chosen to use and because God has called him, he will not refuse, nor compromise...but he will, as he does, continue to speak the word of the LORD.

My hope is that I will model this faith and boldness, clothed in humility to my Amos and to the world around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment